High School Exchange program in France
Your foreign exchange in France: Live with a French host family and go to a local High School in France!
Nacel organizes a student exchange program in France dedicated to native Spanish and English speakers who study French at school: come to France for a few months, live with a volunteer host family and go to a Lycée! This is the best way for you to become bilingual and bicultural!
This French exchange program takes place in high schools all across France, and exchange students who submit early applications may select the region in which they prefer to stay: you may list 3 regions in order of preference:
- North West
- South West
- North East
- South East
International students join school lectures as any other local student and graduation is possible, as long at the student remains at least 2 years in France (Grade 11 and 12). Most exchange students in France stay for a semester or an academic year and collect a transcript with subjects and grades from their French school.
Study Abroad in France / Subjects, grades and credits:
Before registering in the High School exchange program in France, students must gather all necessary information regarding the recognition of their exchange program abroad:
- If a grade report is required at the end of the program (Full academic year or semester program only), students must inform their Nacel counsellor with a list of specific classes that need to be attended. Nacel recommends that students arrange a meeting with their school counsellor to determine what subjects they need to attend while abroad, in order to be able to earn credits from their study abroad program. Nacel is not responsible for the procedures and information required for this process in the home country. However, our team of professionals provides you with full support to initiate the process. Note that your level in the French language will also determine your ability to earn credits: start to study the language even more intensively as soon as you book your exchange program to France!
- If you wish to graduate from a French Lycee, please note that it is possible as long as you study in year 11 and 12 and pass all exams with success.
- If you do not need to earn credits, your school year will be recognized in your career as an enriching gap year in France.
What should I expect from my French exchange program with Nacel?
- This French student exchange program in France has been exclusively designed for international students that speak a native English or Spanish. Volunteer families welcome international students speaking English or Spanish because they hope that this cultural exchange will also expose their own children to the foreign languages they study at school!
- Our students are placed with volunteer host families all across France. You may select your preferred destinations among 4 different regions: North West, South West, North East and South East of France!
- Students are usually placed in public schools during their school year in France but also have the opportunity to attend a private 5 day boarding or even a private permanent boarding school in France.
- Students arriving late August and starting school in September participate in a 3 day cultural and linguistic orientation camp in Paris, where they meet with all other exchange students, coming from all over the world!.
- All students have the support and assistance of a local coordinator during their whole high school exchange program in France. An emergency phone number is also available at all times.
French Host Families
French host families are volunteer (they are not paid to host international students in their home), and have a great interest in meeting international students and learning about their language and culture. International students are expected to enjoy great quality time with the family, join them in their day to day activities and teach them about their life back home. Communication is a key point during this immersion program as well as the cultural exchange.
Before matching any of our students with any family, our local coordinators carefully select the families based on the students’ needs and interests.
Living with a French host family will allow you to improve your French language skills very quickly -and deeply-. You will soon dream in French!
Study abroad in France: Application Process
Exchange students are required to submit their application at least 5 months prior to their arrival, due to placement delay and student visa procedures.
Nacel advises you to start enquiring about your exchange program in France at least 6 months before departure, to allow our team to guide you in the process, inform you about the program and arrange phone meetings with you prior to your application.
- International students starting in September must submit a full application by early April.
- International students starting in January must submit a full application by early October at the very latest.
- Applicants are required to complete the online booking form. Once this is done you will be contacted by a Nacel counsellor who will share with you a personal login/password so that you can access your digital documentation and start your application for your student exchange in France. Once finished, your counsellor review it and confirm acceptance in the French student exchange program.
- Students are required to apply for their French student visa about 2 to 3 months before arrival (not earlier), with the help of the supporting visa documents sent by Nacel. Nacel also provides you with a detailed documentation to help you process your visa application and is available during the whole process to assist you if needed.
Study abroad in France: High School Exchange program in France with Volunteer Host Families
Our High School exchange program in France provides international students with the opportunity to start a full school year, a term (3 months) or a semester (5 months) in September (or in January). You may also opt for a short term homestay and high school in France (up to 10 weeks).
January intake: If you are from the southern hemisphere and want to become part of a full immersion program, for an entire school year, then this is a great and quite unique opportunity for you to improve your French language with us. We also welcome international students for a spring semester in France from January.
* Price in Euros per participant.
Not included: Application Fees (65 EUR)
- Administration fees
- School registration and school fees
- Host family accommodation with full board (including school lunches)
- Support, assistance and 24-hour emergency phone number during the whole program
Price does not include
- International airfare
- Travel insurance (luggage loss, flight delay etc.)
- Visa, passport and medical exam fees
- Extra activities such as sports, excursions, etc…organized by the school or others, extra language courses
- Personal expenses and pocket money
- Domestic transfer on departure day
Mandatory fees to be added
- Meet&Greet + Orientation: 320 EUR (about 370 USD)
- Supervised transfer on arrival to school/host family: 300 EUR (about 350 USD)
- Insurance: 230 EUR (about 265 USD)
- School books: 120 EUR (about 140 USD)
- School transportation: Term 70 EUR (about 80 USD) -Semester 100 EUR (about 115 USD) - Year 200 EUR (about 230 USD)
A minimum of two years of French language study (A2 level) are required to attend a High School exchange program in France.
Participants must show that they are mature enough to participate in the student exchange in France that requires:
“Hellooo! Thank you very much for all the help you all gave us! Fernanda is back home, very very happy with great experiences! It was a wonderful time she had at the school in France! Thanks, thanks, thanks. Tania
On behalf of my daughter Andrea and myself I want to thank you both for giving Andrea the opportunity to have an incredible inter-cultural experience for a year during her stay at Cholet. Be sure that your efforts have definitely contribute of making of Andrea a better human being. Best Regards.
We talked to our daugther yesterday and she was so happy! She loves it in Rodez-the town, the school, the school staff and the Nacel staff. She also said she has girls to sit with at lunch and that everyone has been so nice to her. She also said that she is speaking French more and her understanding gets better every day. The experience she is having now is what she expected from the program so I think this is a good match for her.
Thank you again for all you and the team have done to help with this transition