Cultural Schok ? Get ready with these 10 advices!
When one goes abroad, especially for a long stay, he can feel overwhelmed by a strange feeling named cultural shock. This is not a fatality, and cultural shock can be fought! Find out how by reading these 10 advices!
- First, you must know what culture shock is!
As written on Wikipedia, culture shock consists of difficulties in assimilating the new culture, causing difficulty in knowing what is appropriate and what is not.
- Read and inform yourself before departure!
Try to get as much information as possible about the country.
Try to speak with people who have lived there, browse the internet Prepare yourself to what you have to expect!
- Culture shock happens to many people!
Dont be afraid to speak of it to other foreign students or your family!
- Try to see the cultural shock in a comic way.
You could even create a blog or write in a diary about it. Just try to take it from the fun side!
- Many people suffering cultural shock become introverted. Try not to behave like that.
Always keep in mind that your situation is temporary, and that you will regret not having made the most out of your trip abroad!
- Try to understand why people are different.
Show an open mind as much as possible, even if some behaviours seem incorrect or rude to you considering your own culture.
- Make friends, either locals or foreigners!
Its not that easy, yeah, but it will help you integrate in the local culture!
- Be patient! If you try to integrate yourself, cultural shock will eventually vanish or become less important!
Don't expect it to be gone overnight!
- Find an activity that you like and pratice it!
This will help you air out your mind, and help you make friends!
- Learn the language!
Trying to learn your host country language will help your integration in the country!
We hope these advices will help you cope with cultural shock!
Have you ever experienced cultural shock?
Do you have tips to share with the community on how to prevent or fight cultural shock?
Write us a comment!