Enjoy your program and read this advices to get along with your host family abroad !
In many travel abroad programs, participants are hosted in a local host family. If this is a tremendous experience, here are a few guidelines you should follow in order to enjoy this trip!
- Be polite! This may seem to be an evidence, but always use please, thank you, and such words (in the local language naturally)!
- Don´t be afraid to ask questions! If you are not sure if you can do something, or how you should do it, just ask!
- Try to communicate! Even if you dont speak perfectly the language, youre here to learn! Tell them about your day at school, your own country.
- Discuss issues! If there is something that is a problem for you, speak about it. Don´t go snapping around, but takes a polite tone and try to explain why this is bothering you, and what could be the solution.
- Take time to get to know your family! You may have a first impression after arrival, but a few days after, when youll get to know them, this is likely to change for the best!
- Help with housework! You will be surprised how much your family will appreciate if you offer your help! It will help with communication too!
- Spend time with your family! Don´t stay alone in your room, try to spend time with your hosts, participate in family activities, watch (and help) cooking If you feel like relaxing alone, just explain that you are tired, so that they dont minsunderstood your behaviour!
- Show interest in your familys habits, way of living.
- Ask what the rules of the host family are: how long you can have a shower, if dinner time is flexible, and whatever comes to your mind. This will help avoid problems!
- If you can´t be home for a meal or plan to come back late or stay out overnight, just phone the family to tell them!
- If you break something, offer to pay it back.
- If you have a key for the house, take care of it. If you loose this key, let the family know immediately!
- If you don´t know how something works (electronics, shower, or whatever) ,ask to the family. They will understand that it is different in your home country!
- Keep your room and the common places youre using tidy!
- If you are cold, dare asking the family if they have more blankets, or put more clothes. Don´t let yourself catch a cold!
- Ask to the family what the food policy is, if you are allowed to help yourself or not.
- Finally, don´t forget to relax, have fun and put things into perspective! Youre here to discover new things, so dont forget that the main purpose of this trip is to change your habits!
I hope these tips will have helped you to go along well with your host family abroad!
Don´t forget that most of these tips can be useful once back home with your family or in a shared flat!
If you have some tips to share with us, don´t hesitate to let us a comment!