High School Exchange in Spain
Student exchange in Spain: meet a volunteer Spanish host family eager to share with you their language and culture and improve your Spanish knowledge through a constant immersion into Spanish! You will go to school with your Spanish classmates and make new friends.
Be an exchange student in Spain?
Join a unique High School exchange in Spain specifically designed for native English speakers: international students are welcomed by a volunteer Spanish family looking for a deep cultural and language exchange. They host our exchange students voluntarily but expect in return to experience a real international exposure for themselves and their kids: you will learn Spanish from them but the exchange will also help them to improve their English skills!
Exchange students in Spain attend regular classes in a Spanish public or private High School. This is a complete Spanish immersion program!
Why learn Spanish? Spanish is one of the most spoken languages in the world: make the difference and become bilingual in Spain! The best way to achieve this is to experience an exchange program in Spain because a long term Spanish immersion will allow you to learn efficiently, and practise! After a few weeks, you will even dream in Spanish!
Study in a High School in Spain!
Students come for a full academic year in Spain from September to June (public or private school), a Semester or a Term (private school), and even for short term programs (a few weeks, in private schools only). Spanish students attend 10-12 subjects a week at High School level. The 10th grade mainly offers mandatory subjects (2 electives may be added), while 11th and 12th grade offer students to specialize into Science and Technology, Social Science or Humanities (as well as Arts in some schools). Grade 11 and 12 are dedicated to the preparation of the Bachillerato (16-18 years old).
During their secondary school studies Spanish students usually attend classes from 8am to 2 or 3pm. Some schools also have lessons in the afternoon but this is not the majority of schools.
If you have a lower Spanish level you may enroll in an intensive Spanish course before the academic year starts in September (extra cost, 16+ students only) and also have access to a totally free online Spanish e-learning platform that will help you to improve those areas that might need reinforcement (listening, speaking, and writing skills).
Highlights of the High School exchange in Spain:
- Best Immersion Experience in Spain: Students are living with a warm and welcoming Spanish host family while attending school like any other local student.
- Guardianship and Support 24/7: Students receive full support from the host family, the local coordinator and our professional team.
- Free online Spanish preparation course: Nacel provides you with a free e-learning platform for you to start practicing your Spanish before your arrival.
- Credited program: Based on your academic performance you have the opportunity to receive transcripts at the end of the program and therefore earn credits back home (restrictions may apply, please contact our advisors for further information).
- Competitive price: Our affordable prices open the doors for you to embark on an unforgettable academic and cultural experience in Spain.
You may already know Spain as a tourist: its rich culture and history, its architecture, landscapes, costalines, beaches and food!
We allow you to become BILINGUAL and BICULTURAL.
You will not only gain a language: you will also become the best of yourself, and increase your level of international awareness, your intercultural skills, your maturity and independence. You will be ready to continue your journey into a multicultural world. Join the high school exchange in Spain!
Volunteer Host Families
Within this high school exchange in Spain, students are hosted by volunteer families. Volunteer host families are carefully selected based on hosting conditions, motivations, expectations. We match a student with a host family based on the host family and the student's application form. Prepare your host family letter and your pictures very carefully: this will help us to make the best match!
Spanish host families are known for being very welcoming and enthusiastic of getting to know the culture of our students. They also expect from their student to help them improve their English skills. This is thus a real exchange program in Spain.
Staying with a Spanish host family:
Students are required to integrate with the family activities such as trips and days out. It is also important that the student gets involved with housework responsibilities. Host families offer a full board accommodation and packed lunches during school days.
International not only experience the life with the host family but also get to know the extended family: grandparents, cousins etc.
The local coordinator is available anytime to support the host family or the student whenever needed during the high school exchange in Spain.
High School exchange in Spain: How does it work?
- You prepare your application form and tell us more about YOU: your age, your motivations, your expectations, your hobbies and interests
- Knowing you better, we select the BEST Spanish host family to welcome you in their home: they do not only share their home with you, but their heart, their language and their culture. Find a new home and family abroad!
- Get prepared: we guide you through all steps, including through the visa processes, departure arrangements and your Spanish and academic preparation. You never walk alone!
- Welcome to Spain: YOUR host family is there to welcome you! YOUR local coordinator helps you settle in during the first days and stay in touch with you to check if everything goes smoothly!
Enjoy your study abroad in Spain with Nacel.
Looking for a placement in the South of Spain? Opt for the High School in Andalusia!
The application to your high school exchange in Spain is done in six stages:
1. An interview is carried out with you and your family to determine eligibility.
2. Once you complete the booking, we will send you the application forms that will need to be carefully filled out and must be sent back to us via email in a PDF file.
3. Once you are accepted in the program, we will issue the formal acceptance and start working on your placement.
4. Arrangements are made for your placement and communicated to you.
5. We assist you in applying for your visa if necessary; we will send you a Visa application guide.
6. You determine your travel arrangements and we organize your transfers upon your arrival.
Contact us to learn more abut the Spanish school system and prepare yourself for a successful high school exchange in Spain!
High School exchange program in Spain (English native speakers)
* Price in Euros per participant.
** Only available to native English speakers
Not included : Application Fees (65 EUR)
- Administration fees
- Host school placement and local orientation
- Host family accommodation with full board
- Airport pick-up and transfers to host family, from the closest airport to the family
- Support, assistance and 24 hour emergency phone number during the whole program
- Medical, Liability and Emergency Repatriation Insurance
Price does not include
- International airfare
- Travel insurance (luggage lost, flight delay etc.)
- Visa, passport and medical exam fees
- Private school extra fees, extra language courses
- Books, lockers, laboratories, yearbook, class ring, letter jacket, student activities etc…
- Local transportation from and to school
- Extra activities such as sports, excursions, etc…
- Airport pick-up and transfers outside the dates indicated or in another airport
- Personal expenses and pocket money
Exchange students must be interviewed in their home country before being accepted for a High School exchange in Spain (preferably in Spanish).
A minimum of two years of Spanish study and good academic results are required to study in Spain.
Students must be English native speakers.
Ellen had a wonderful time. Thank you for all your help. Ellen’s mother.
No te he olvidado durante mi año aquí en España, y estoy totalmente enamorada con Asturias. He estado estudiando para 5 meses, y como dice mi padre de aquí, "si estas comiendo 3 dedos, ya acabaste dos y solo queda uno." Pero estoy muy triste que en 4 meses hay que volver a mi país y tengo que dejar a mi familia española.
Pero bueno, no pasa nada. Ahora mismo, estoy muy contenta. smile emoticon Estoy estudiando mucho porque en un mes, vamos a Cádiz para Semana Santa. ¡Tengo muchas ganas! Así que estoy estudiando, en los fines de semanas voy al cine con Celia y nos dormimos en la casa de mi abuela. Cocinamos mucho, que me encanta. Ahora, sé cómo se hace la tortilla española, fabada asturiana y lentejas.
Otra vez, gracias por todo. Sin vosotros, este viaje no habría sido posible, y ha cambiado mi vida.
We worked with Nacel for 6 months to prepare our 15-year old daughter for a year of high school abroad in Spain. The staff were very responsive, answering all of our questions and addressing our concerns immediately. Emails and phone calls were responded to quickly, and the staff were always available by phone. Additionally the Nacel staff went above and beyond their role to problem solve with us when we experienced challenges and confusion in the bureaucratic process of the embassy requirements. Our host family selection was done with thought and care for our daughter’s age and experience level. It is obvious that a positive student experience is paramount at Nacel. We felt at all times that we were working with individuals who cared for our daughter's well-being (and ours as parents, too.) At the time of departure, we felt fully prepared, knowing where our child would be going, what she would need for the school system and life abroad, and we were put in direct communication with our fantastic host family to guide us into a successful year abroad. Thank you to all the Nacel staff involved in making our daughter’s dream a reality. Thank you!
Aidan is doing great and Marta is a sweetheart. He is very happy with his family. Marta and I talk back and forth she is doing wonderfully with her English. Thank you again for this amazing and life changing experience that you helped facilitate for Aidan. Brooke C.
I spent two weeks in July 2015 in the Barcelona, Spain homestay program living in the Sabadell suburb area. I traveled to Spain from U.S. and was the only American student in this program. My homestay family was a very nice, retired lady, Anna, who was very kind and nurturing. My roommate was a French student who I became very close to and enjoyed my time with her. We got along very well and had many common interests. This homestay program provided me with a great exposure to the Spanish culture. I got to spend time with my host family, which included a grand daughter who also became a goodf riend. I continue to be in contact with all the new friends that I made this summer. …Overall, I would highly recommend this homestay program to students who want to experience life in Spain. I made many good friends on this trip and hope to continue to stay in touch with them, including my homestay family and tutor.