Canadian Host Family: Some advices that will help you for meals and manners!
Going to Canada? The advices below will help you with meals and manners there!
Meals -Food in Canada can be different from the one you are used to. Try to sample everything, and if you don't like something, say it (politely and tactfully) to your hosts. There are 3 meals in Canada:
- Breakfast: usually taken between 7 and 8 am, it is milk or coffee, with toasts and marmalade or cereals and milk, and orange juice. It is an important meal, don't skip it!
- Lunch: It is usually a quick, light meal. Usually, it will be a sandwich, a cake, a fruit and a drink.
- Dinner: Generally taken between 5 and 7 pm, it is the most important meal of the day. Usually, the whole family meets, and you will likely have fruit, meat and vegetables, and a dessert.
This is the occasion to practice your English or your French!
If your family is not from an anglosaxon origin (70% of the Canadian population), the food will likely be influenced by their origin.
If you want to cook a traditional meal from your country to your Canadian host family, ask them the permission, and also how to use electronics, since they can be different from the one you are used to.
If you are not going to be home for a meal, inform your host family.
Manners Always be polite with your family:
- Use please and thanks when you ask something.
- Communicate with your Canadian hosts: if you need something, you will have to ask them since they can't know otherwise. Always tell your host when you will be home or out, so that they don't worry. Upon arrival, ask their hosts about their habits: when the television can be watched, in which rooms you can go or not... Don't isolate yourself.
- Since Canadian people are really respectuous of others' private life, if you shut yourself in your room they will think you dont´t want to be disturbed. If you are tired, just tell them you need to rest a little.
- Don't expect your hosts to come to you to speak, watch TV... They will expect you to come spontaneously. If you want to bring a friend over, first ask to your hosts.
Don't hesitate to share your own advices with us!