Destinations: San Jose, Costa Rica Costa Rica
Age: From 15 to 18 Years Old
Dates: July to June or February to December
Length: Semester, Academic Year
Price: From 9 790 USD
Join our exchange program now!
Are you looking to study in a foreign country, learn about a new culture and do a environmental volunteer program abroad during the New Year? Nacel has designed a new High School Exchange Program in Costa Rica that will allow international pupils to join a private high school in downtown San Jose, participate in an environmental volunteer program and enjoy the “Pura Vida“ life style. Costa Rica is currently the top destination to study Spanish in Latin America according to the latest study issued by Open Doors in November 2016.
Our private High school in San José offers personalized attention, ensuring the success and learning process of each of our students. During your high school exchange program in Costa Rica, you will be attending the following classes:
- Sciences (Chemistry, Physics and Biology)
- Social Studies
- Civic Education
- English intermediate or advanced (TOEIC and TOEFL preparation), if needed (non English speakers)
- Computer Lab
- Physical Education
- Laboratory and research techniques
- Green classroom
- Clubs (Sports, Art, Music, ETC.)
There are generally five lessons in the morning and three or four in the afternoon. Graduation is not possible.
The school has modern facilities offering students a pleasant learning environment, a cafeteria with a menu supervised by a nutritionist, a professional Psych-Pedagogic team to support you in your development and reinforcement of your leaning skills as well as an onsite doctor ready to look after our students at all times.
Environmental Volunteer Program
Combine your exchange program in Costa Rica with an enriching life experience! Students will be able to join a volunteer program within its ecological park. This park opened its doors in 2005 and covers an area of 5,000 square meters. It was created to raise awareness in the educational community about the responsibility to protect the environment as a way of life. The volunteer program consists of a series of projects focused on education in the conservation and sustainable development of the natural resources of the Moravia area.
High School Exchange program in Latin America: highlights !
- Improve and perfect your Spanish within a community.
- Join an Environmental Volunteer program and teach young children about the importance of conservation.
- Personalized education and support by a group of professionals.
- Length: Semester - Academic Year.
- Orientation on arrival by local coordinator.
Learn more about our students currently attending their High School exchange in Costa Rica while visiting our Facebook page!
We also offer various other destinations:
- High School exchange in Chile
- High School exchange in Ecuador
- High School exchnage in Mexico
- High School exchange Spain
- High School Exchange in Argentina
Deadline:Apply at least 4 months before arrival.
Applicants to the high school exchange program in Costa Rica should comply with the following requirements:
- Age: 15 to 18
- 2 years of Spanish are expected in order to have a good integration flow.
- Students should be mature and willing to integrate in a new culture.
- This program has limited vacancies.
- Students are required to be committed to their program and give their best at all times.
During their high school exchange in Costa Rica, students will be placed at a host family's home with full board.
The host family is carefully selected based on the student’s application. Usually the host families will be families within the school community.
As an international student you must be aware that you will be a member of the house, therefore you are expected to participate in the family activities and also share some responsibilities just as you would do back home.
Once your Nacel Representative has confirmed availability and you are ready to sign up for your high school exchange program in Costa Rica, you will have to follow the next steps:
1- Go to the Booking section, fill out the form and complete the payment of the 265 EUR deposit (this amount is a deposit applied to the total amount of the program)
2- Your Nacel Representative will be contacting you with your booking confirmation, application forms and information about the visa procedure.
3- Once we receive your completed application we will issue an acceptance letter and an invoice.
4- We will need to work together as a team on your visa application as some parts will take place in the USA and some other parts in Costa Rica.
High School exchange in Costa Rica
Price in USD
9 790 USD
AYP, Private July to June
14 590 USD
AYP, Private February to December
14 290 USD
- Administration fees
- Host family accommodation with full board
- Host school placement and tuition fees
- Orientation on arrival
- Local transport from and to school
- School Texts Books
- Annual Camping School Trip
- Airport pick up and transfer on arrival and departure
- Support, assistance and 24 hours emergency phone number during the whole program
- 3 months free E-learning language program (for semester and academic year only)
* Uniforms include: 3 Polo T-shirts, PE uniforms, High School jacket. Students must bring with them a 3 blue navy trousers, blue navy socks and a pair of black scholar shoes. These can be also purchased locally at an additional cost.
Price does not include:
- International airfare
- Travel insurance (luggage lost, flight delay etc.)
- Visa, passport, and medical exam fees (Certification and translation of documents in the home country and Migration Office Fee once the student is in Costa Rica - around $250)
- School supplies (8 Notebooks, pencil case, calculator, laptop, tablet)
- Extra activities organized by schools and others
- Extra language courses
- Personal expenses and pocket money ($10 a day, $300 a month)
- School Yearbook
- Medical, Liability and Emergency Repatriation Insurance
- Application Fees (65 EUR)